Daily tests: days 32 – 38

For the last week, I have been dosing 2 ppm which is being processed into nitrate within 24 hours.

So now, I am only waiting to collect the new fish, as the bacterial colony is stable. Because the Danio margaritatus will be so small, I am not going to move the Pseudosphromenus dayi to the new aquarium until the danios are large enough to not be eaten. I have also been unable to find any of the loaches I was interested in.

Actual 60 litre plant layoutThe plants are growing well; I currently have the light on a 5 hours on, 4 hours off, 5 hours on, off for the night regime: it seems to be working well. There are no problems with Cardamine lyrata and Hydrocotyle cf. tripartita. I have also added one pot worth of Pogostemon helferi, in preparation for the fish… I expect to be buying the remaining plants soon. On the other hand, the Lindernia rotundifolia has completely melted, worse than any Cryptocoryne melt I have ever seen. I suspect this is because the stems I received were grown emersed (above water, the word comes from the Latin word ēmersum, from which “emerge” is derived) and the leaves could not survive when submerged under water. Every single one of the original stems has now rotted, but every node has grown new axillary buds, which have developed into individual plants. For the vast majority, each plant is now 20-30 mm tall and growing well.

Given that the D. margaritatus are now ready for collection, so I will be looking to collect the remaining promised plants this week, or early next week, and to buy the rest as soon as possible.

Cultivating the plantsWater evaporation is still high, as I am not using the condensation tray yet, so I have had to top up the water a few times already. I used dechlorinated tap water, which raises the KH, but this is not an issue as there are currently no fish in the aquarium.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *