Daily tests: day 22

This morning’s test results were:

  • ammonia: 0 ppm
  • nitrite: 1.5-2.5 ppm

Approximately 0.7 – 1.0 ppm of ammonia and approximately 0.4 – 2.7 ppm of nitrite were processed in the third 24 hours. I don’t want the nitrite to rise much higher than that, so I decided to top up ammonia back to 0.3 ppm, as I expect that in the next 24 hours, approximately 1.5 ppm on nitrite will be processed, so that should leave with with a roughly 1.5 – 2.5 ppm reading. After adding approximately 0.15 ml of ammonia, the reading was:

  • ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Daily tests: day 21

This morning’s test results were:

  • ammonia: 0 ppm
  • nitrite: 1.0 – 1.5 ppm

Approximately 0.4 ppm of ammonia and approximately 0.5 – 1.2 ppm of nitrite were processed in the second 24 hours. Taking that into account, I decided to top up ammonia back to 0.6 ppm, as I expect that in the next 24 hours, approximately 1 – 1.5 ppm on nitrite will be processed, so that should leave with with a roughly 1.5 ppm reading. After adding 0.3 ml of ammonia, the reading was:

  • ammonia: 0.7 – 1.0 ppm

Daily tests: day 16

This morning’s test results were:

  • nitrite: 2 ppm

I had read the results off as 5 ppm again, and as I am quite impatient and I do think that high nitrites stall a cycle (and the bacteria could do with some ammonia feeding), so another 24 litre water change later, the results were:

  • nitrite: 1.0 ppm

These results are in a region which I can read, so I am now going to try waiting patiently until nitrite drops to a clearly blue 0 ppm before re-dosing with 1 ml of ammonia (I don’t want to risk dosing so high that I can not read the nitrites any more).